After completing the lengthy 2008 post, I’m going to write briefly about 2009 so far and what I hope to do.
From a professional perspective:
– Work more with websites. I would like to work with Umbraco, Sitecore, Reddot, Fatwire etc.., which are open source content management systems. More like finding out what the client wants, developing a strategy and design, managing the build and overseeing the process.
– Online Display Advertising – I’ve very keen to look at stuff like banner ads, learn about adblaster, open ex ad serving and the like.
– Become involved with social media. I would like to experiment with online marketing campaigns involving social media. I haven’t done any yet, but I am eager to do a viral campaigns using Youtube, social bookmarking, etc….I’m really into social media from a personal perspective because its interesting. However, it’s hard to see how it can be monetised & the commerical appeal – there’s no real formula.
– I’ve started up a work basketball team @ Alexandria. Unfortunately, I’ve sprained my ankle but hope to be back soon. It’s the first sports team @ Next Digital, Sydney so should be an interesting ride.
– I’m attending a few events in the next month or so:
- Launch of NRMA’s magazine & website “myway2go.com.au“, Feb
- Digital Tipping Point: The Future of Branding & Social Media, Feb 17
- Ad:tech Sydney, March 10 – 11 (my company is presenting)
- Advertising & Marketing Law, March 11
I would like to attend events, every now and then to hear industry thoughts, meet people, etc…The event that I really want to attend is Wiki Wednesdays if they ever hold it again. Its for people that are involved in wikipedia’s which leads to……..
– Working on a wiki using Confluence. Its my pride and joy at the moment, and I’m currently the residential expert. I hope to evangelise a wiki culture into our business and show others how to use it. It was my suggestion back in October when I posted about it on my internal work blog, and it slowly coming to fruition.
– continue to find out more about folksonomies, search engines, cloud computing (my favourite topic area at the moment), and RSS.
– I currently have an allocation of work time to study search engines and I will be going for the Google Advertising Professional Exam.
– I hope to find a mentor at work or outside of work.
From a personal perspective
– I would like to do some travelling this year around Australia. I’ve seen so much of the world (Europe, states, Asia, etc.) but I’ve never seen Ayers Rock, WA, Great Barrier Reef, etc… This year I will tick one of them off my list.
– International travel – if not this year then the next. I just had a look at tickets to South America, maybe somewhere like Brazil or Peru would be cool.
– Get my own car & move out!! These two things have long been overdue. They both will be done (or a least one!) by the end of the year.
– I would like to sign up for this local mentoring service. I saw a notice at the library asking for mentors, and I feel like I could help someone. I also believe that I should do some volunteer work if I can find the time (there always is time, I just can’t find it :P)
– Fix up this website and get a proper website. It’s ok having a stock standard blog, but I would like to upgrade the website.
– Sign up for a gym – something I’ve also been meaning to do. I have the form on my desk and was about to complete it, but then my ankle injury hit.
I’m out like moving out,